You may know wellness visits as cleanings, but they are so much more than that.
An oral wellness visit to Timothy P. Sulken, D.D.S. will also include the following services:
- Diagnostic X-rays – X-rays are vital for detecting oral health problems like decay, bone loss, cysts, tumors, and more. Additionally, they help Dr. Sulken determine the position of your teeth and roots.
- Oral Cancer Screenings – Dr. Sulken will check your face, neck, throat, tongue, gums, and lips for signs and symptoms of oral, head, and neck cancer.
- Gum Evaluation – Dr. Sulken will examine your gums for signs of periodontal disease. This evaluation is a series of steps that will allow the dentist to determine the health of your gums and if a treatment plan should be employed.
- Dental Decay Evaluation – Dr. Sulken or his team will check the surface of your teeth for cavities. This evaluation is performed using special dental instruments. If a cavity is found we will suggest a treatment strategy and perform the necessary fix if possible.
- Restoration Evaluation – Dr. Sulken or his team will check your restorations such as fillings, crowns, veneers, etc. to ensure they are still healthy and performing their essential duties. If they are not we will recommend a treatment strategy or correct the problem during your visit if possible.
Along with these evaluations, screenings, and examinations is your professional cleaning (dental prophylaxis) performed by a member of Dr. Sulken’s team of Dental Hygienists or Expanded Function Dental Assistants. The professional cleaning includes the following:
- Removal of Tartar – Tartar is plaque that has hardened over time. Tartar is firmly attached to the surface of your tooth. Tartar can form above and below your gum line and can only be removed using special dental instruments.
- Removal of Plaque – Plaque is a group of bacteria, food particles, and saliva that exists on the surface of your teeth. Plaque is extremely hard to see and can cause gum inflammation if not removed. This inflammation is the beginning of periodontal disease.
- Teeth Polishing – This process removes stains and plaque that have been leftover after brushing and scaling. This process also smooths your tooth in order to make it harder for plaque to accumulate on the surface of your tooth.
In addition to your cleaning and examinations, your wellness visits offer us an opportunity to educate our patients on proper dental care.
This opportunity is important in maintaining proper at home care of your teeth.
Finally, before leaving our office Dr. Sulken will evaluate all information attained during the visit and go over any concerns you may have.
If treatment is needed outside of your wellness visit it will be scheduled by one of our outstanding administrators on a future date.
Your wellness visits are critical to your oral and overall health. In fact, it has been found that patients who schedule wellness visits every six months end up spending less money on treatments. The reason for this is that you avoid costly and big problems with routine maintenance. The sooner you can catch a problem, the better. Not only are wellness visits saving your teeth but they are also saving your money.
I am the kind of person who has been extremely afraid of dentists for most of my life because of past bad experiences. I avoided dentists like the plague for years hoping my teeth would miraculously maintain themselves. Unfortunately, I knew that wasn’t a reality and that I would have to visit a dentist sooner rather than later. I’m so happy that Fostoria has such an amazing dentist like Dr. Sulken and his hygienists. Every single person in the office is so friendly. The atmosphere is very relaxing with coffee and tea to welcome you as you come in. Everyone in the office: from the receptionists to the hygienists to the dentist himself are really close knit and like a family. They also make it a point to get to know their patients extremely well. I’ve had multiple hygienists there clean my teeth and they are always patient and gentle with me. They listen very well to any worries, concerns, or possible issues I may be having. I have not found Dr. Sulken to be pushy regarding dental treatments like other dentists are. If there are issues, he informs me in a way that I can understand and lets me know they should be taken care of. I have definitely not been pushed into unnecessary treatments though. I must say every time I go in, I am still nervous because of past bad experiences that happened years ago with other dentists. However when I leave Dr. Sulken, my confidence is renewed and I’m happy that I went. I have multiple friends that also go to him and they have nothing but good to say about him. He is the dentist I recommend to anyone looking for a reliable, trustworthy and gentle dentist that will take his time and is truly interested in his patient’s well being.
Love coming to the office, bring my whole family and I never feel like the kids are being a problem. They have toys, a Wii, and after the kids are finished with their appointments they get to pick something out of the prize box! Our two oldest used to be scared of dentist until we started going to Dr. Sulken! Our youngest has only been to Dr. Sulken and on his third time to have a cleaning he was more than willing to go all by himself into the room, sit up in the chair and let them clean his teeth because my husband was getting his cleaned and I was with the middle one while she got a filling. He doesn’t turn 4 for another month! Our oldest had a recent tramic brain injury, and she came out of her cleaning with a smile, less than 2 weeks after getting released from the hospital! I can not say enough about how welcome they make us feel! I am happy to say we have found out forever dentist! 💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗Thank you!